The key objectives of the Active NZ Survey were to:
- measure participation levels in various sport, recreation, and physical activities;
- determine the percentage of New Zealand adults who met the New Zealand Physical Activity Guidelines;
- provide a baseline from which to track long-term trends in sport, recreation and physical activity at a national level; and
- gain insights into sport, recreation and physical activity levels across various regions and demographic variables.
The findings will allow:
- SPARC to report back to Government on how active New Zealanders are, and their participation in sport, recreation and physical activities;
- help inform future programme direction and the development of new programmes for different population groups; and
- establish a benchmark level of physical activity from which to track long-term trends in physical activity among different demographic groups and nationally, when the survey is repeated in the future.