Based on information collected through the 2007/08 Active NZ Survey, this report provides an overview of physical activity behaviours among adults (aged 16 years and over) living in the Greater Auckland region. In particular, it describes their level of involvement with sport and recreation as participants and volunteers and their overall level of physical activity. The findings for the Greater Auckland region are also compared with the national profile for sport, recreation and physical activity in this report.
Greater Auckland Region Findings
- Walking and swimming were, in that order, the two most popular sport and recreation activities.
- Men were significantly more likely than women to:
- have participated in an organised competition or event (Men: 41%; Women: 27%);
- have been members of a club or centre (Men: 41%; Women: 31%);
- have achieved the national physical activity guideline (Men: 52%; Women: 42%).
- Compared to the Greater Auckland regional population:
- adults from Pacific and Asian ethnic groups were significantly less likely to participate while New Zealand European adults were significantly more likely to participate in three or more activities (Greater Auckland: 66%; Asian: 45%; Pacific: 54%; NZ European: 75%);
- participation levels in an organised competition or event were significantly lower for adults from Asian and Other ethnic groups (Greater Auckland: 34%; Asian: 17%; Other: 17%);
- adults from the Asian ethnic group were significantly less likely to have been volunteers (Greater Auckland: 22%; Asian: 11%).
- Adults in the youngest age group (16 to 24 years) were significantly more likely than adults in older age groups to:
- have participated in an organised competition or event (16-24 years: 53%; Other ages: ≤33%);
- have received instruction (16-24 years: 70%; Other ages: ≤39%); and
- have been members of a club or centre (16-24 years: 50%; Other ages: ≤34%)
- Adults in the older age groups (50 years and over) were significantly less likely to participate in at least three sport or recreation activities (50-64 years: 57%; 65 years+: 40%; Other ages: ≥71%).
- Compared with New Zealand adults, adults in the Greater Auckland region had similar:
- participation levels in sport and recreation activities;
- participation levels in club and centres to engage in sport and recreation;
- levels of sport and recreation volunteering; and
- physical activity levels.