Otago Region Versus New Zealand Findings
In this section, comparisons between the findings for the Otago region and New Zealand13 are presented.
- Snowsports was on the 10 most popular activities list for adults in the Otago region but not on the list for New Zealand adults.
- Rugby union was on the 10 most popular activities list for men in the Otago region, but not on the list for New Zealand men.
- Snowsports was on the 10 most popular activities list for women in the Otago region, but not on the list for New Zealand women.
Organised Competition/Event Participation, Club/Centre Involvement and Instruction
- Compared with New Zealand adults, a similar percentage of adults in the Otago region:
- participated in at least one organised competition or event (New Zealand: 36.9%; Otago: 45.0%);
- were members of clubs or centres in order to take part in sport and recreation activities (New Zealand: 34.9%; Otago: 36.4%); and
- received instruction from a coach, instructor, teacher or trainer to help improve their performance (New Zealand: 39.9%; Otago: 46.0%).
- The level of volunteering for all adults in the Otago region (32.0%) was similar to the level for New Zealand adults (25.3%).
Physical Activity Levels
- The percentage of adults in the Otago region who achieved the physical activity guideline was similar to the percentage for New Zealand adults (New Zealand: 48.2%; Otago: 51.1%).