Taranaki Region Versus New Zealand Findings
In this section, comparisons between the findings for the Taranaki region and New Zealand13 are presented.
- Tennis was on the 10 most popular activities list for adults in the Taranaki region, but not on the list for New Zealand adults.
- Tramping, bowls and hunting were on the 10 most popular activities list for men in the Taranaki region, but not on the list for New Zealand men.
- Fishing and tennis were on the 10 most popular activities list for women in the Taranaki region, but not on the list for New Zealand women.
Organised Competition/Event Participation, Club/Centre Involvement and Instruction
- Compared with New Zealand adults, a similar percentage of adults in the Taranaki region:
- participated in at least one organised competition or event (New Zealand: 36.9%; Taranaki: 40.4%);
- were members of clubs or centres in order to take part in sport and recreation activities (New Zealand: 34.9%; Taranaki: 37.5%); and
- received instruction from a coach, instructor, teacher or trainer to help improve their performance (New Zealand: 39.9%; Taranaki: 41.9%).
- The level of volunteering for adults in the Taranaki region (31.7%) was similar to the level for New Zealand adults (25.3%).
Physical Activity Levels
- The percentage of adults in the Taranaki region who achieved the physical activity guideline was similar to the percentage for New Zealand adults (New Zealand: 48.2%; Taranaki: 47.0%).